Friday, July 15, 2011

Making things easier – IBM COGNOS 10


I have worked on 8.3 /8.4 versions of COGNOS extensively. We have started work on IBM COGNOS 10 and I realize that they have got in some really good tools in the report studio. Especially the tab control option that I want to mention today.

In 2009 we had designed a report that would work more like a tool than a simple report. So I used java scripting and iframe to make that report work. An end user would not know if it was a tool or a COGNOS report. I spent considerable amount of time (2 weeks) to design the layouts and colors.

The image here, which has ‘Sandeep’ as tabs was created on report studio 8.3; with each tab giving you access to a different domain of the canned reports. Now, we have the same concept in IBM COGNOS 10 as Tab Control and it is so simplified ---Just drag and drop. I am so glad that this feature has been added but also envy because of the ease of availability to all now :).

Anyways, the other thing that I am working on is the iPad version of IBM COGNOS 10 reports using only report studio. (Please note – no SDK involved here). I see that the reviews online claim that IBM COGNOS 10 is more mobile friendly, but I haven’t seen any major changes in the basic release version. The only thing that has inspired me is the Business Insight, which we were about to design in the with the help of some Java. Our concept was more like a portal for COGNOS reports. Coming back to iPad, I have designed the templates (on 8.3 COGNOS) but am still looking for some good images that would enhance the look and feel. I will soon put in a video to demo this feature.

No comments: